I imagine two parallel realities in the way that we view the world. There is the world inside and the world outside of us. It is through the senses that we are able to connect the inside to the outside world. My whole life, including the choice to become an artist, has been an attempt to re-search, to understand, and to connect these two parallel realities. To bridge what is within to what is without…
Naturally, my works are triggered or have a point of departure either in the external or in the internal world. Initially, an idea is generated in the form of an internal image, which in turn needs to be answered intellectually and put into context. This process seems to me to have its point of departure in the world of the subconscious, which then surfaces into the conscious realm. Following from there, the initial idea decodes itself as it evolves into realisation and ends up ‘translating itself’ in to an artwork. It is a bit like a journey, which slowly reveals itself as I journey towards it.
The reason why most of my work takes the form of tactile, multimedia installations lies in my aim to involve the viewer in a physical way; to enable her or him to become immersed into it. In order to achieve this physical ‘pull’ I often use rhythm and repetitive movement. They reflect the pulse and recurrence that are constitutive of life. They are basic elements of life itself. Rhythm and repetition help open up and prepare the mind for the elusive connection of the conscious and subconscious worlds.
BA (Hons) Fine Art – Sculpture, Central St. Martins College of Art and Design, London Institute. London, England (1983-1988)
Adjunct Professor at the Superior School of Fine Arts, Athens, Greece: Masters of Fine Arts Program. Athens, Greece (2007-2012)
Short Biographical Note:
Danae Stratou was born in Athens, Greece, studied at Central St. Martins School of Art, London Institute, acquiring her BA (Hons) in Fine Art – Sculpture, (1983-1988) and has been Adjunct Professor at the Superior School of Fine Arts (Masters of Fine Arts Degree), Athens, Greece, since 2007.
Her work consists of large-scale installations and tactile audio-visual environments. She has exhibited widely, including in the 48th Venice Biennale, Italy (1999), the 1st Valencia Biennale, Spain (2001), the Bienal International del Deporte en el Arte – BIDA 2005 Seville, Spain (2005), the 5th International Biennial of Contemporary Art, Gyumri, Armênia (2006), the 1st Thessaloniki Biennale, Greece (2007), La Verriere, (Fondation D’ Enterprise Hermes) – Solo Show, Belgium (2010), Istanbul – Culture Capital of Europe 2010 International Program, Turkey (2010), the Adelaide International Festival 2012: Restless, Australia (2012), the Annual International show Icastica, Arezzo, Italy (2015).
In 2010 she initiated and co-founded the non-profit organization Vital Space, a global, interdisciplinary, cross-media art platform addressing the pressing issues of our time.
She is one of the three members of the D.A.ST Arteam collaborative, who created Desert Breath, one of the largest Land Art projects on the planet, covering 100,000 m2, located in the eastern Egyptian Sahara bordering the Red Sea, Egypt (1997).
Distinctions include the Runner Up Prize in the National Public Art Competition for the airport high street of the City of Austin Bergstrom International Airport, Texas, USA (2014) and the Commission’s Panel Award in 18th Biennale of Cerveira, Portugal (2015) awarded to the video installation The Globalising Wall.
SOLO: EXHIBITIONS | INSTALLATIONS | PROJECTS (selection)
- Upon the Earth Under the Clouds. Site specific, outdoor installation. Curator: Alexandra Koroxenidis. Aisxylia Festival 2017 & Eleusis 2021 Cultural Capital of Europe. Elefsina, Greece.
- Elements. Organised by: The Municipality of Elefsina, Eleusis 2021 Cultural Capital of Europe and the P.A.K.P.A.A.’s Department of Culture. Cultural Centre Leonidas Kanellopoulos, Elefsina, Greece
- It’s Time to Open the Black Boxes! Curator: Heidmarie Dobner. Museumkrems, organised in the context of Globart Academy 2016, Krems, Austria.
- The Globalising Wall: Focusing on the US | Mexico Border). University of Texas at Austin – LBJ School of Public Affairs, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Ghosts of Texas, (photographic installation). Curator: Anna Hatzinasiou. Salon de Bricolage, Athens, Greece.
- The Globalising Wall. Curator: James Pinker. Mangere Arts Centre – Ngā Tohu o Uenuku. Aucland, New Zealand.
- Vital Space – Istanbul. Curator: Nicholas Tsoutas. SCA Galleries – Sydney College of the Arts. Sydney, Australia.
- It’s Time To Open The Black Boxes! Curator: Sozita Goudouna. Zoumboulakis Galleries. Athens, Greece.
- The River of Life. Hellenic Ministry of Culture. Old Bath House of the Winds. Athens, Greece.
- Icesongs. Curator: Alice Morgaine. La Verriere – Fondation D’ Enterprise Hermes. Brussels, Belgium.
- Breathing Circle. Curators: Areti Leopolulou & Theodore Markoglou. Sani Festival & the Greek State Museum of Contemporary Art. Halkidiki, Greece.
- Inhale, (installation and performance in collaboration with Landscape Dance Company – Ioanna Parali). Technopolis, Athens, Greece.
- The Imagine Wall. Athens, Greece.
- Cut – 7 dividing lines. Curator: Maria Maragou. Zoumboulakis Galleries, Athens, Greece.
- See Through. Curator: Nadja Argyropoulou. Zoumboulakis Galleries. Athens, Greece.
- Breathe / Water Section. Curator: Efi Strousa. Zoumboulakis Galleries – K. Sarantopoulos Flower Mill. Athens, Greece.
- Desert Breath. Land Art Installation by the D.A.ST. Arteam, (D. Stratou, A. Stratou, S. Constantinides). El Gouna, Egypt.
- Installations, Open Studio. Danae Stratou, Athens, Greece.
GROUP EXHIBITIONS (selection)
- The Body, The Soul and The Place – Contemporary Greek Artists. Curators: Dr. Maria Tsantsanoglou & Dr. Syrago Tsiara. Exhibition of the State Museum of Contemporary Art (SMCA) at the National Art Museum of China within the framework of the 7th Beijing Biennial of Contemporary Art. Beijing, China.
- Retrospection. Curator: Kleomenis Kostopoulos. Action Field Kodra 2017 – Arts Festival of the City of Kalamaria – Division of Culture. Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Urgent Conversations: Antwerp – Athens. Curators: Bart De Baere (M HKA) & Katerina Koskina (EMST). Museum of Contemporary Art Antwerp (Μ HKA) & the National Museum of Contemporary Art. Athens, Greece.
- Lanceurs D’Alert. Curator: Marie Lechner. La Gaite Lyrique, Paris, France.
- Reflections of Origin. Galerie De Compagnie, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- Borders, Barriers, Walls. Curator: Francis E Parker. Monash University Museum of Art in Melbourne. Melbourne, Australia.
- 18th Biennale of Cerveira, “Looking At The Past To Build The Future”. Curator: Margarida Leao. Cerveira , Portugal.
- Icastica 2015. Artistic Director: Fabio Migliorati. Arezzo, Italy.
- Staging the Domestic. Curator: Anna Chatzinasiou. The Hospital Club, London, England.
- Adelaide Festival: Restless – Adelaide International 2012. Curator: Victoria Lynn. Adelaide, Australia.
- Sonic Timespeech/sound/silence. National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Athens, Greece.
- Istanbul 2010 Cultural Capital of Europe: Lives and Works in Istanbul. Visual Arts Director: Beral Madra. Tophane, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Politics of Art. Curator: Anna Kafetsi. National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Athens, Greece.
- Open Places – Markets Within Market. Curator: Harris Kanellopoulou. The City Of Aegina. Attica, Greece
- Water / Currents. Curators: Gabriel Bauret & Vangelis Ioakimidis. Thessaloniki Museum of Photography. Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Art + Nature: Environment Action ’08. Curator: Yannis Bolis. State Museum of Contemporary Art & The Hellenic Ministry of Public Works and the Environment. Athens, Greece.
- Transexperiences – Greece 2008, 798 Space. Curator: Anna Kafetsi. National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Beijing, China.
- Art Photo Expo Miami. Participation: Zone D & Basia Embiricos Galleries. Miami, USA.
- Material Links. Curator, Iris Kritikou. MOCA – Shanghai Museum. Shanghai, China.
- Open Plan 2008 – Art Athina. Curator: Bettina M. Busse. Participation: Zone-D Gallery. Athens, Greece.
- Parallel City II, Outdoor installation in the context of the Thessaloniki Film Festival, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- The Portrait of a Museum. Averoff Museum. Curators: Olga Mentzafou-Polyzou, Katherina Stathopoulou. Metsovo, Greece.
- Bare Life. Curator: Raphie Etgar. Museum on the Seam. Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1st Thessaloniki Biennale. Curator: Maria Tsantsanoglou. Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Grey. Curator: Maria Maragou. Rethymnon, Greece.
- Tashkent: East and West Crossroads. Curators: Shalva Khakhanashvilli, Shahnoza Karimbabaeva. Tashkent House of Photography. Curator: Maria Tsantsanoglou. Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- Topoi. Curator: Denys Zacharopoulos. Benaki Museum. Athens, Greece.
- Places in Zone D. Curator: Daphne Zoumboulakis. Organised by Zone D Projects. Loft Spaces, Athens, Greece.
- Nuit Blanche. Curator: Shalva Khakhanashvili. Paris, France.
- Caravansarai 2006, International Forum of Visual Arts & Arts Events. Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- Scarecrow. Curators: Olga Daniylopoulou, Nico de Oliveira, Nicola Oxley. Evangelos Averof-Tositsas Foundation. Metsovo, Greece.
- 5th International Biennial of Contemporary Art. Curator: Maria Tsantsanoglou. Gyumri Center for Contemporary Art in collaboration with the Greek State Museum of Contemporary Art. Gyumri, Armenia.
- Bida 2005– Bienal International del Deporte en el Arte. Curators: Marta Moriarty, Tono Arean, Sania Papa, Christos Savidis. Locations: Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art, Kaftatzoglio Stadium, Thessaloniki, Greece & Las Atarazanas Reales, Seville, Spain.
- Caravansarai 2005. International Forum of Visual Arts & Arts Events. Curator: Maria Tsantsanoglou. Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Transcultures Curator, Anna Kafetsi. The Hellenic Ministry of Culture & the National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Cultural Olympiad Athens 2004, Greece.
- Athina by Art. Curator: Efi Strousa. The Municipality of Athens & AICA – Greece. Cultural Olympiad Athens 2004, Greece.
- Action Field Kodra 04. Artistic Director: Christos Savvides. Cultural Organization of Municipality of Kalamaria. Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Art Paris. Participation with Zoumboulakis Galleries, Paris, France.
- Sketching out Today, Tomorrow and Yesterday. Curator: Lina Tsikouta. E. Averoff Museum. Metsovo, Greece.
- Passions – 1st Bienal de Valencia. Curator: Achille Bonito Oliva. Participation in main exhibition Body and Sin. Valencia, Spain.
- Memories of Nature. Curator: Raphaela Platow. Contemporary Art Museum (CAM), Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.
- Communications – Synopsis 1. Curator: Anna Kafetsi. National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Athens, Greece.
- Open 2000 – International Exhibition of Sculptures and Installations. Curator: Efi Strousa. Lido-Venice, Italy.
- 48thVenice Biennale. Commissioner: Anna Kafetsi. Greek Pavillion. Venice, Italy.
- Video Show. Curators: Dimitris Dokatzis, Ilias Marmaras. Located in the windows of the electrical supply stores on Dragatsaniou Street. Athens, Greece.
- Expoarte – Guadalajara ’97. Participation with Ice Box Gallery. Guadalajara, Mexico.
- 9th International Biennale of Sculpture 1996-97: The Merit of the Dialogue – Transmutations of the Plastic Language. Curator: Bia Papadopoulou. Scyronium Museum, Greece.
- Women Creators of the Two Seas – the Mediterranean and the Black Sea”. Organised by: Unesco & Thessaloniki 1997 Cultural Capital of Europe. Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Four Decades of Artistic Quest. Curator: Efi Strousa. Cultural Centre Costis Palamas. Athens, Greece.
PUBLIC ART COMPETITIONS & PANEL PRIZES (Recent)
- The Commission’s Panel Award, 18th Biennale of Cerveira, Portugal (2015). Awarded to the video installation The Globalising Wall.
- Project proposal: AIRTHGATES. Second prize and runner up project in the Public Artist Organization, international competition that took place in the US for the Austin Bergstrom International Airport, Airport Entrance Project.
- Nirox Foundation. Artist in Residence, November (2015). Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Works and Lives in Istanbul. Istanbul 2010 Cultural Capital of Europe. Commission to design and run a workshop with young local contemporary artists. Project link: theforestview.org
WORKS IN PUBLIC SPACES (Permanent & Ephemeral)
- The Imagine Wall. Commission. Athens, Greece.
- Land Art Project. Agios Nikolaos Vineyards. Commissioned by Evangelos Averof-Tositsas Foundation in the context of Scarecrow exhibition. Metsovo, Greece.
- Parallel City in the context of the exhibition: Athina by Art. Curator: Efi Strousa. The Municipality of Athens & AICA – Greece. Cultural Olympics Athens 2004, Greece.
- Heliotropia. Commissioned by the Public School Buildings Organization. Primary school of Pireus, Pireus, Greece.
- The Breathe Wall. Commissioned by the Public School Buildings Organization. 12thPublic High School, Exarchia, Athens, Greece.
- Earth Cubes in the context of the exhibition Open 2000 – International Exhibition of Sculptures and Installations. Curator: Efi Strousa. The City of Lido, Venice, Italy.
- Double Curve. Commissioned by Orascom Development. El Gouna, Egypt.
- Desert Breath. Land Art Project. By the D.A.ST. Arteam, (D. Stratou, A. Stratou, St. Konstantinidis). Construction by Orascom Development. Eastern Sahara, Egypt.
LECTURES | WORK PRESENTATIONS (Selection)
- Underground / Politics with Danae Stratou & Yanis Varoufakis. Organised by Teodora Pasquinelli. Goldsmiths University, May 5th, London, UK.
- FIG Bilbao Festival 2016. Women And Art: a Round Table discussion Moderated by Begoña Zubieta with artist Danae Stratou, journalist Miren Gabantxo, curator of the Guggenheim Museum of Bilbao, Petra Joos and, Sara González, Director of the Museum of Fine Arts of Vitoria. Plaza Del Ensanche 11, Bilbao, May 22nd
- European Forum Alpbach 2016: Danae Stratou: Two Parallel Realities, a conversation with Art Historian, Lisa Charlotte Sonnberger, (Vienna, Austria). Liechtenstein-Saal, August 31st, Alpach, Austria.
- Globart Talk 2016, Art can change the World – (EX) Changing Perspectives.
Moderator: Martin Fritz. Co-speakers: Christoph ThunHohenstein, Tomáš Sedláček, Oliver Tanzer. 25th January 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- The Relationship Between Contemporary Art and Museology: The production and musealization of the artwork in the digital format. My paper,“Vital Spaces: Glances from Above and from Within”. In the context of the 18th Biennial of Cerveira in Portugal.
- NAFTA+20: An Assessment of Intended and Unintended Effects. University of Texas at Austin – LBJ School of Public Affairs, Austin, Texas, USA. Presentation of THE GLOBALISING WALL: Focusing on the US | Mexico Border.
- Adelaide Festival. Artists week. Keynote speaker: ‘Seeing into Ubiquity’
- National Museum Of Contemporary Art (EMST), Athens. Keynote speaker: ‘The Politics of Art’
- Superior School Of Fine Arts, Athens. The Globalising Wall. Yanis Varoufakis & Danae Stratou.
- Brecht Forum, New York. The Globalising Wall. Yanis Varoufakis & Danae Stratou
- Queens University, Belfast. Ten Years – Ten Projects. Invited Keynote: Danae Stratou.
- University of Patras. Department of Architecture. Desert Breath by D.A.ST. Arteam.
- 1st Conference for Science and Art. Desert Breath by D.A.ST. Arteam.
Ermoupolis Cultural Center, Syros, Greece.
- NCSU School of Design. Invited Keynote: Danae Stratou. Raleigh, N. Carolina, USA
- National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Invited Keynote: Danae Stratou, Athens, Greece.
- Central – St. Martins College of Art & Design. Desert Breathby D.A.ST. Arteam. London, UK.
- Macedonian Museum of Modern Art. Public Art – Dual Perspectives. D.A.ST. Arteam & Costas Varotsos. Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Cooper Union, New York. Desert Breathby D.A.ST. Arteam. NYC, USA
- Bartlett School of Architecture – UCL. Desert Breath by D.A.ST. Arteam supported by a photographic exhibition of the project. London, UK
- Superior School of Fine Arts. Desert Breath by D.A.ST. Arteam. Athens, Greece.
Her artworks belong to various National Museums and Private Collections and Museums in Greece, France, US, UK, and Egypt.
Icesongs2 (commissioned & acquired 2012). National Museum of Contemporary Art / EMST, Athens, Greece.
Vital Space – Istanbul, (commissioned & acquired 2010). Istanbul Painting and Sculpture Museum, Istanbul, Turkey.
Cut-7 Dividing Lines, (acquired 2007-09 respectively)
- National Museum of Contemporary Art / EMST, Athens, Greece &
- The Emfietzoglou Art Collection, Athens Greece
- State Museum of Contemporary Art, Thessaloniki Greece
See Through, Private Collection, Athens, Greece.
The River of Life, (acquired 2004). National Museum of Contemporary Art / EMST, Athens, Greece.
Breathe, (acquired 2009, donated by Mr. F. Bobolas). National Museum of Contemporary Art. Athens, Greece.
Breathe video installation, (acquired 2001). CAM / Contemporary Art Museum, Raleigh, North Carolina, US.
Curve, (acquired 1998) and Horizon (acquired 2002). Macedonian Museum of Modern Art, Thessaloniki, Greece.
2004: The Greek Sale. Organized by Bonham’s in London.
2001: Greek Art: Second Half of the 20th Century. Organized by Christie’s at the National Hellenic Research Foundation in Athens.
2000: Greek Artists 1962. Organized by Christie’s at the National Hellenic Research Foundation in Athens.
- Borders, Barriers, Walls. Curator: Francis E Parker, 2016, 104 pages, 40 colour images. Texts: Charlotte Day, Gillian Triggs, Yanis Varoufakis, Francis E. Parker. Monash University Museum of Art in Melbourne, Australia.
- Art in the Global Present. Edited by Nikos Papastergiadis and Victoria Lynn, 2014. Published by UTS ePRESS.
- Restless – Adelaide International, 2012. Curator: Victoria Lynn. The Globalising Wall. Text by Professor Yanis Varoufakis. Adelaide, 2012.Icesongs, La Verriere – Fondation D’ Enterprise Hermes. Text by curator Alice Morgaine. Brussels, 2010.
- Lives and Works in Istanbul. Istanbul Cultural Capital of Europe 2010.Text by Visual Arts Director, Beral Madra, Istanbul, 2010.
- Politics of Art. The National Museum of Contemporary Art / EMST. Text by Dr. Anna Kafetsi. Athens, 2010.
- Transexperiences, National Museum of Contemporary Art / EMST. Text by Dr. Anna Kafetsi. EMST. Athens, 2008.
- Bare Life, Edited by Roy Brand. Museum On the Seam. Jerusalem 2007.
- 1st Thessaloniki Biennale, Heterotopias, Texts by Maria Tsantsanoglou, Danae Stratou. State Museum of Contemporary Art. Thessaloniki, 2007
- Cut-7 Dividing Lines, Zoumboulakis Galleries. Texts by Dr. Yanis Varoufakis, Danae Stratou. Futura Publications. Athens, 2007.
- Bida 2005, Bienal International del Deporte en el Arte. Texts by Marta Moriarty, Sania Papa, Tono Arean. Comité Olimpico Internacional. Seville, 2005.
- Transcultures, National Museum of Contemporary Art / EMST. Text by Dr. Anna Kafetsi. EMST. Athens, 2004.
- 1st Bienal de Valencia ‘Passions’ / Body and Sin, Communication Between the Arts. Texts by Achille Bonito Oliva, Luigi Settembrini. Charta. Milano, 2001.
- Memories of Nature, Contemporary Art Museum. Text by Raphaela Platow. CAM. Raleigh, 2001.
- Communications–Synopsis 1, National Museum of contemporary Art / EMST. Texts by Dr. Anna Kafetsi, Raphaela Platow, Alexandra Stratou, Danae Stratou. EMST. Athens, 2000.
- Open 2000, 3rd International Exhibition of Sculptures and installations. Text by Efi Strouza. Comune di Venezia, Arte Communications. Venezia, 2000.
- La Biennale di Venezia, 48 Esposizione internazionale d’arte, D’Apertutto, Text by Dr. Anna Kafetsi. Venezia, 1999.
- Correspondences, Danae Stratou. Greek Catalogue, 48thVenice Biennale. Texts by Dr. Anna Kafetsi, Danae Stratou. Hellenic Ministry of Culture. Athens 1999.
- Desert Breath, Texts by Efi Andreadi, D.A.ST. Arteam. General Press Publications / D.A.ST. Arteam. Athens, 1998.
- Papastergiadis Nikos and Lynn Victoria (eds): Art in The Global Present. Sydney: CSR Books, 2014, issue 1, p. 179 – 185.
- Cooper, Guy and Taylor, Gordon. Gardens for the Future. London: Conran Octopus, 2000, pp. 202-205.
- Kosmidou, Zoe. The Power of Visual Logos Greek Women Artists. Text by Danae Stratou. Athens: Ican, 2003, pp. 67, 204-205.
- Monocle Radio. Should Art be political? With Robert Bound. https://monocle.com/radio/shows/culture-with-robert-bound/277/danae-stratou/
- The Forum, BBC World Service. Taming Nature, with Bridget, Kendallhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03ng3cf
International Printed Media (Selection):
- NakedButSafe_Mag #3, Oct 2012
- Flash Art, Yulia Tikhonova, Oct / 2007
- Artforum, Marek Bartelik, Jan / 2005
- El periodico del arte, July / 2001
- Herald Tribune, 12-13 Jun / 1999
- Corriere della Serra, (Io Donna), M. L. Phisa, 12-13Jun / 1999
- Word of Interiors, Nov / 1997
- Artforum, M. Bartelik, Oct / 1997
- Art in America, R, Vine, June / 1997
- Sculpture Magazine, Z. Kosmidou, Oct / 1997
- Arti International, E. Andreadi, May – June / 1997