I imagine two parallel realities in the way that we view the world. There is the world inside and the world outside of us. It is through the senses that we are able to connect the inside to the outside world. My whole life, including the choice to become an artist, has been an attempt to re-search, to understand, and to connect these two parallel realities. To bridge what is within to what is without…
Naturally my works are triggered or have a point of departure either in the external or in the internal world. Initially, an idea is generated in the form of an internal image, which in turn needs to be answered intellectually and put into context. This process seems to me to have its point of departure in the world of the subconscious, which then surfaces into the conscious realm. Following from there, the initial idea decodes itself as it evolves into realisation and ends up ‘translating itself’ in to an artwork. It is a bit like a journey, which slowly reveals itself as I journey towards it.
The reason why most of my work takes the form of tactile, multimedia installations lies in my aim to involve the viewer in a physical way; to enable her or him to become immersed into it. In order to achieve this physical ‘pull’ I often use rhythm and repetitive movement. They reflect the pulse and recurrence that are constitutive of life. They are basic elements of life itself. Rhythm and repetition help open up and prepare the mind for the elusive connection of the conscious and subconscious worlds.
- Borders, Barriers, Walls. Monash University Museum of Art in Melbourne. Curator: Francis E Parker. Melbourne, Australia (2016)
- 18th Biennale of Cerveira, “Looking At The Past To Build The Future", Portugal (2015)
- Icastica 2015. Artistic Director: Dott. Fabio Migliorati. Arezzo, Italy (2015)
- Staging the Domestic, The Hospital Club. Curator: Anna Chatzinasiou. London, England (2014)
- Sonic Time speech / sound / silence - From the EMST collection. Curator, Anna Kafetsi. Project, Icesongs . National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST). Athens, Greece. (2012)
- RESTLESS - Adelaide International 2012 The Globalising Wall.
- Politics of Art , Cut - 7 diving lines
- Lives and Works in Istanbul Vital Space - Istanbul.
CERVEIRA BIENNAL 2015, The Globalising Wall, (video installation) & Vital Space – Istanbul, (video installation). Curator: Margarida Leao. Cerveira, Portugal.